Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Where to begin...

I started (yet another) blog. This one is to think 'out loud', to everyone or no one, about the parenting and educational choices we are making for ourselves and our children. I lay awake at night considering the mountains of options you have as parents, in regards to the education of your children. Public school, private school, home school (unschool, school at home, relaxed home school), and you have to choose what you think is best for your whole family. For us, it seems home school is the best fit. I love the idea of creating a one of a kind educational experience for my kids, but where do I begin? I have been researching for years. I have looked at curriculum, I have read books, I have sifted through millions of blogs, online resource centers, and articles. I have lots of information, LOTS, but what do I do with it?
I recently read 'The Unschooling Unmanal'. It was a very short, very quick read, but it left me feeling less overwhelmed, and less afraid of my choices. I am not alone (which I knew, but it sometimes feels that way) in my worries about parenting or education. And it helped me realize that all the reading and researching will only get you so far. You have to put it into practice, even if you don't know what IT  is yet.
That's what I'm starting this week. I'm going to stop worrying about my kids being behind or ahead, I'm just going to let them point me in the right direction and help teach them how to find the answers they need.
I'm hoping that by having this blog I will have a place to post thoughts, share creative ways we find to learn, and keep some sort of log of what is going on.
I hope that if you read this and you are in the same boat you will leave some comments...I would love to hear what you have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment