Thursday, February 23, 2012

Spring is almost here!!! Yesterday was so beautiful, and not incredibly windy, so we finally got to spend some time in the sun! It was so nice to feel the sun on my pale, gross skin :) We were hoping to go to the park, but some things came up and I needed to wait on some phone calls, so we played in the yard instead, and we still had a good time.
The kids wanted to blow some bubbles, but I couldn't find my mother's giant supply, so we made our own with dish soap and water. Luckily our science kit has a little hoop in it (that I suspect is for making bubbles with, but we haven't gotten to that experiment yet), so we used that to make huge bubbles! The only problem was they were popping really fast...maybe more soap next time. The wind was also a problem, I think if it were a little more calm the bubbles would have lasted a little longer.
Funny how something simple like playing with bubbles becomes a science experiment...we had to make a solution, test it out, make notes for next time! We also found some earth worms and rollie pollies on our quest to find a balance beam for adelyn.
We joined gymnastics this week. The kids had a great time and I'm glad they can learn something new and get some energy out at the same time. Adelyn was disappointed that she couldn't be in ballet, but the classes were full, and I really think it was the cute outfits that she was really excited about. I might try to find her a fancy gymnastics outfit so she will not feel like she's missing out. Steven was just happy to be there. He was a bit of a wild man. His listening skills could definitely use some improvement, but he did better than I thought he would. I imagined the first day would end with a trip to the ER. The instructor was very patient and kept a pretty fast pace so that there wasn't much lag time. Every once in a while they did have to stand on a dot or color until it was their turn, and she had to correct him for jumping ahead in line and twirling like crazy on his spot. I tried not to intervene even though I could see it all happening, because I wanted him to respond to her and learn that other adults can direct you and you have to listen. Long story short, it went well, and we will be going back once a week until we go back to South Carolina.
Other than that we haven't done much. We bought a new science kit from Hobby Lobby. So far we have done the first three experiments and they went over well. The kids enjoyed the fizzing tablets and watching them change colors. I can't wait to show them the diet soda rocket!! I am pretty sure that one will be a hit :) We need to wait for a non windy day though, I'm certain the neighbors would not appreciate diet soda spayed all over their  house and yard.
Now we are off to the library to see what their story time is like and maybe get a new card and some books. I'm always anxious about a new story time, you never know how the kids are going to be...when I say kids I mostly mean Steven, my sweet little energy machine ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment